i don't want to say "explain" coz there's nothing to explain, for me it's only a matter of bringing it to their attention while they are still young in a neutral way without mush detail, so that they have already heard about homosexuality in an acceptable context before they come across the first bully who will scream faggot or whatever else with obvious contempt.
I was an au pair (live-in nanny) in germany some years back, when the chance presented itself while I was walking back home from kindergarten with my wonderful boy (not mine, just one of the two kids of the family I was working for). He was at the time 4 years old and a very smart kid.
soapbox
---Of course, he had an excellent nanny to answer ALL his questions to his satisfaction from dawn till noon and his mother who would continue answering questions for the rest of the day!! Sometimes he would even get up at night and come ask any of us questions, and then turn and go right back to his bed. His sister was and remains even worse with questions! I love those kids coz they learned at home how to ask questions and that they have a right to expect an answer so outside the home they never stopped asking and keep asking until they got their ANSWER and not some blurry excuse. ---- end soapbox
So walking back we were talking (we were always talking, sometimes we also sang and danced) and he said something, I have no idea what exactly anymore but it was about his future when he would grow up he would marry or sth and I said yes you can get married but you have to be at least 18 first, if you like a girl you can marry her and if you like a boy you can marry the boy, you can do whoever you like when you grow up but children don't marry. He was perplexed it had never crossed his mind that there was this possible combination so he asked what do I mean about a boy. So I said well love most boys marry girls and most girls marry boys but there are some boys who want to marry other boys and girls who like to marry other girls. He said he didnt know anybody like this and I just answered that is probably so because this doesn't happens as often. "It is like your hair, most people have brown or blonde and a few have red hair like yours and you don't see it very often".
His rare haircolour came in very handy in explaining that homosexuality was nothing weird or unnatural, but totally Ok and acceptable just it is uncommon. Then we went on to count how many people we knew with brown or blonde hair and came to the conclusion that himself and his dad were the only people we knew that had red hair
He is now almost 11 and his sister 9 and I think both old enough to understand the concept of transexuality next time they visit
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment